Tuesday, May 26, 2009

In Memoriam

For the first time in a very long time my husband and I went to Buffalo Wild Wings in West St. Paul this past weekend. I was told by one of the bar patrons that two people who used to frequent BW3s when I did had passed away. I was in shock. I thought I would share brief thoughts about both men who were always chipper and had such positive attitudes: Lango and Jams.

Lango, or Pat as his friends would call him, would always be at the fourth bar stool in from the right at BW3s. He was very intelligent and was always willing to share his knowledge of vast subjects with anyone who cared to listen. He spent most of his free time in the Cayman Islands, and loved to offer up his residence in the islands to anyone who wanted a "real vacation". I knew Pat because I would always go to BW3s to play trivia every Friday afternoon (when I would come home from St. Cloud State on the weekend). Pat passed away on May 22 from brain cancer.

Jams, or James, would usually be seated next to Pat, or close to him. He always spoke very fondly of the love of his life, Theresa. He was, however, a tremendous flirt. The name I always used in playing trivia with him was "Smoke" and when I would win, he would say, "Ah, there she goes again...Smoke gets in your eyes." He made me laugh and always had a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. James passed away in April due to complications from diabetes.

As Tennyson wrote:
I sometimes hold it half a sin
To put in words the grief I feel;
For words, like Nature, half reveal
And half conceal the Soul within.

3 comments:

Empoprises said...

Very beautiful thoughts. Sometimes the term "friend" is overused in social media these days, but it truly applies to Lango, Jams, and those such as you who knew them.

Unknown said...

That is very sad, they were both wonderful people. I will always remember them fondly.

RoadDog said...

I've made a lot of great friends playing NTN.