Friday, July 10, 2009

The Power of Prayer

When I was growing up, I spent a lot of time at my Grandma and Grandpa H's house. It was great during the summer time, especially towards the end of August because they lived right across the street from the Minnesota State Fair grounds. I cannot tell you how many times throughout the years my cousins and I would make the cross over Como to the grounds. We had many, many fun times and I cherish the memories I have from those days.

I spent many nights at my grandparents' house and one of the things that my Grandma taught us over those summer nights was prayer. She taught my cousins and I "The Lord's Prayer" and the "23rd Psalm". By the time I was six, I could recite each from memory. On Saturday nights my cousin Judy and I would have our baths, watch "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island", and then recite our prayers. When we would say "Now I Lay Me", at the end we would be sure to include every one of our family members, teachers, friends and anyone else we could think of--even our pets! :)

About three weeks ago, Mike, Brody, Byron and I stopped by the cemetery where both of my grandparents are buried. It was the first time I had been there since having both of my children. Mike and the boys stayed in the car as I made the walk across the grass to where both of their headstones were. I kneeled down and recited both prayers. Before I knew it, I felt my cheeks damp with tears. In looking back at the car I realized that goodness and mercy were going to be following me throughout the days of my life.

The power of prayer had a different meaning than when I was younger; it was more powerful than I ever thought it would be.

No comments: