Monday, November 27, 2006

The importance of being earnest

I look for jobs for my husband every day. I do this because it is easier for me to search at work during the day than it is for him to try to get on-line from our house (we have dial-up) and try to look while caring for Brody. This morning I found a position that was perfect. Although it was from 8 p.m. to 6:00 a.m., it was the same work my husband had been doing previously. I told him about it and he was interested despite the graveyard hours. Did I mention it was from Sunday to Wednesday? Only four days? Anyway, I sent off his resume and he received a response immediately. He was not pleased that it was located in Coon Rapids (we live in IGH), but he was willing to meet with the HR representative nonetheless.

At noon I received a phone call from my husband at work telling me that the place he was going to was much further than he thought; it was almost in Anoka. He also said that his mother asked him when he was going to get any sleep when he worked until 6:00 a.m., and then I left for work at 8:00 a.m. I told him that I was under the assumption that his parents were still going to help with our daycare situation. He then asked me if I would bring the children (since #2 will be here in less than two months) to his parents' house before I went to work in the morning, and I told him yes. I didn't think it would be that much of an issue for his parents to help us since they told us before that they were more than willing to help us out with whatever we needed. I didn't like the way my husband was presenting this to me; it was as if he was already throwing away the whole notion of working for this company even before he had an interview with them.

About a half an hour ago, I received another phone call from my husband. This time it was more frantic. He asked me what the phone number was to the place he was interviewing at because he could not find it. His interview was at 1:00 and he was calling me at 1:05. I was livid. I asked him why he was calling me now when he had been in the area for at least an hour already. He told me he wasn't there that long, but it didn't make any sense. If he knew it was on the border of Anoka at noon, then why was he calling me at 1:05 wondering where it was? I gave him the number and hung up.

I do not know what to think at this point. I am mad at my mother-in-law for telling my husband she didn't think this was a good position for him. Is she planning on supporting us until my husband finds a job? I doubt it. I am also upset with my husband for throwing away the hope of landing the position before he goes to the interview. I really feel that he shouldn't be picky at this point in time, but he is. For me, it is difficult to understand why he isn't overtly gushing over any position I put before him.

1 comment:

Trudy said...

Perhaps this one just isn't meant to be. I pray something turns up soon.