Thursday, September 07, 2006

Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

I have three stepsisters: Mary, Anna and Laurel. Laurel will be graduating from high school this coming spring 2007. Anna recently moved into an apartment with several friends of hers. Mary is an irresponsible individual who is self-centered and immature. Can you tell how I feel about her? Have I made my feelings known or am I being a bit cryptic? I think I will further explain why I feel the way I do about her.

In 1996, I lived with my grandmother, father, stepmother and stepsisters in Falcon Heights. It was something I had never done before that and I found it to be quite enjoyable--at least until I found out Mary was constantly stealing from me. She would steal packs of gum, money, cosmetics, etc. from my room. When I would notice items missing, I would approach her and ask her about it. She would always deny it--even though I found the evidence in her room.

Over the years, Mary has had her fair share of problems; all of course, brought on by herself. This last March, she gave birth to a baby girl who should have been put up for adoption immediately. The "father" of this child is a fine piece of work; he has three daughters with three different mothers and has admitted he hoped this child of Mary's would be "his boy". Since the birth of his fourth daughter, this fine gentleman has done nothing to better the life of his new family. He refuses to work and he refuses to watch my niece because he "cannot deal with it". I was recently told that he has checked himself into a "two-week treatment program", which is something I have never heard of.

Mary has an option right now that would be the best thing she could possibly do for her child. Her father, who lives in Iowa, is giving her an option to move to his house and live with the baby. Mary does not want to do this because it would be "breaking up her family"--meaning ditching the distingushed father-of-the-year. (Sorry for the use of sarcasm, but I cannot help it) I really wish she would reconsider what she is doing. I know I am not the best person to be dispensing advice because I am not a saint, but I know that if she moves, it would be the best thing she could ever do for her child--at least right now.

I really hope she reconsiders her decision to stay in Minnesota. No one can tell her what she should do because she knows what is best for her and her child. This is such a trite statement. I wish that every person who has said this at one time or another actually meant it. I know Mary does not.

No comments: