Thursday, September 28, 2006

Don't ever buy the extended warranty

In 2001, I bought my first new car, which was a Ford Focus SE. I was involved with the ex-husband at the time, who had the backbone of a snail, so bargaining was not an option. On August 29, 2001 I paid around $17,000 for my vehicle, which by today's standards, was a rip-off. I should have seen the writing on the wall at Inver Grove Ford when the salesMAN spoke to the ex and not to me. I finally told him that I was the one purchasing the vehicle and if he wanted me to buy the vehicle, he had better start talking to me.

Since the ex was not car savvy, I thought it was a good idea at the time to purchase the extended warranty on the vehicle. I figured since I was buying a new car, I had better have all of my bases covered. I purchased it for almost $2K. When I bought it, I was told that I would receive a refund of the total cost if I never used it. The office manager made it sound so simple; famous last words.

It has been five years since I bought the Focus and I still own it. It is mine; bought and paid for. It has approximately 63K miles right now, which is very good for a 2001 vehicle. When the warranty was up, I immediately searched for my paperwork to "get the ball rolling" on my refund. I had no idea it was going to turn into such an ordeal.

I was just informed by the warranty company that the package I sent to them on the 20th was not received until the 25th and that it would take an additional 60 days before I would see any information on my refund.

What is the moral of my tale? Cars are built to last; don't buy the extended warranty.

No comments: