Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The most wonderful time of the year

Yesterday, as I was listening to people curse the cold while walking the sidewalks of the Cathedral Hill district of St. Paul, I was relishing it. I love autumn and the "smell" it has. I will try to explain what each season smells like...

Spring - An earthy aroma with hints of fresh grass and pure running water.
Summer - A coconut fragrance with traces of heated asphalt.
Autumn - An apple-dried leaf-pumpkin spice combination with traces of crisp wind.
Winter - An icicle-coated, evergreen tree scent with whisps of fresh linen.

I like autumn and winter the best. I am sorry, but there is no better feeling than sitting in an overstuffed chair, looking out the window, drinking hot chocolate and watching the snow fall. I love the serenity of it all. There is something to be said about the look of fresh, untouched snow. I cannot wait for my son to experience snow for the first time this year. The joyous look on a child's face when he or she plays in the snow for the first time is priceless.

No comments: