Monday, October 30, 2006

Beautiful Wrecks

From the dark end of this bar, what a beautiful wreck you are...
I really love Shawn Mullins' music. I have found myself singing this song on enumerated occasions. I just love the ironic title. Would it be considered irony? I think it would. If you are wondering why I am even mentioning something like this, look again at the title of my blog.

So much has happened in the last week. It has been difficult to find time to blog. Here are the events that have taken place:

1) My education has come back to haunt me.
A fellow co-worker was working on a newsletter for one of our resource centers and I mentioned to him that I could take a look at it when he was finished. Well--big mistake. My offer to "look" at it turned into redesigning and editing the whole thing. It took three days. Needless to say, it is a lot better, if not 100% better than it was before. I cannot help but be proud of my work. My former college professors would be proud. Since its completion, the co-worker has brought a brochure to my attention. I think I will wait a week before I make any comments on it.

2) My husband is currently on an "unpaid leave of absence" from work.
Last Thursday, my husband was told that he was being suspended for three days because a fellow co-worker supposedly saw him sleeping on the job. The "sleep" in question was acutally my husband rolling his eyes around behind closed eyes due to pain chips falling into them. My husband has an AWFUL case of sleep apnea, and I really find it difficult to believe that he was sleeping silently in a chair. He goes back to work on Wednesday and I really hope his suspension turns out to be paid for.

3) Shame on me for my baby shower lamentations.
On Saturday night, my father called me and told me that my cousin had delivered her baby four weeks early. He also mentioned that my cousin's daughter had been born with Down Syndrome.
I feel very bad for my cousin because my first pregnancy while I was married to my first husband had been a Trisomy 18 Down Syndrome fetus, which didn't survive past the third month of my pregnancy. I don't know if the shower is going to go on as planned or not. Nonetheless, I feel bad for her and her family.

Aside from these things, all else is on an even keel. We celebrated my son's first birthday with family members yesterday afternoon. He did very well; aside from when everyone sang "Happy Birthday" to him. He didn't know what to think about that. I will have to post photos when I receive the photo disk.

1 comment:

Trudy said...

Actually, I think beautiful wrecks would be more of an oxymoron!

That is very sad about your cousin's baby, don't lament too much though.

Hope things turn out ok with Mike at work and that he gets paid, and...

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY TO BRODY!