Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Some things are better left unseen

I am a film scholar by degree. I attended three year's worth of classes on film at SCSU. When people ask me (which is quite frequently) what my favorite film is, I find it difficult to answer. I don't have just one favorite film. There are at least 10 films that I would classify as being my "favorites". When I haven't seen a film that someone else adores, it is as if I have commited a sin. Being a film scholar does not mean that I have seen every film that exists. This would be impossible.

I really enjoy the AFI film series programs that have been televised. Although I do not agree with all of their choices, I have found that there are a lot of similiarities. When I read through their top 100 list of films, I realized that I have not seen 10 of their top 50 films. Here they are:

1) Lawrence of Arabia - I have seen parts of this film, but not the whole thing. It was a film shown in my 1960s film class, but I think I might have fallen asleep. The beginning was good when he was in a motorcycle accident.

2) The Bridge on the River Kwai - I have not seen this because it was something that my dad would have forced me to watch against my will as a child. Defiance, defiance, defiance...

3) The African Queen - I don't really care for Katharine Hepburn and I cannot stand Humphrey Bogart; enough said.

4) Chinatown - I have always wanted to see this, but haven't. I'll have to remember this one.

5) The Grapes of Wrath - I have seen parts of this as well. I remember watching part of it in my American History class in 10th grade, but since the class was after lunch, I fell asleep. I don;t care too much for Henry Fonda either. On the subject of Fonda, I have SEEN "On Golden Pond" and I couldn't figure out if Fonda was acting or being himself. I think I have said enough.

6) Raging Bull - I have tried to watch this enumerated times since I love Scorsese, but I cannot do it. I am not sure why not, but it just doesn't work for me. Any suggestions?

7) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Humphrey Bogart; enough said.

8) To Kill a Mockingbird - I loved the book by Harper Lee, but I am always a bit apprehensive to see a film based on a book because, more times than not, the film is not as good as the book.

9) Dr. Zhivago - I have seen parts of this. It can make you feel cold in the middle of a blazing hot summer. I guess I just haven't had the time to sit through the whole thing.

10) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I don't really care for the comedic duo of Redford/Newman. I do want to know why people have continuous asked Ted Cassidy (Lurch from Addams Family) to sign a photo still from the movie in which Butch Cassidy is being kicked in the balls. Does that make sense?

1 comment:

Trudy said...

Huh? You DON'T like Redford/Newman together, did you NOT see 'The Sting'...that is pure genius (not to try and sway your opinion, of course).

As for the others, I honestly believe you should watch 'Lawrence of Arabia' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird'...Gregory Peck is amazing, hence the Oscar. The others I would skip since you don't care for the actors, I thoroughly enjoyed 'The African Queen' when I finally worked up the resolve to see it. This was also a movie my father deemed a fave growing up, so I was determined to stay away from it. Hmm...may want to rethink your decision on 'Bridge on the River Kwai'...great flick!

Incidentally, I have some catching up to do it would seem. I still have 15 to see!