Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself

This is a quote from the Bible. I believe it is in the Book of Matthew, but I am not sure of the chapter or verse. I think it is in the fifth chapter. I don't believe my title is the exact quote, but it is pretty much the theme of the day.

Last night (or technically this morning) my husband came home from work and told me that his supervisor told him that a group of investors from Europe had visited their site and were interested in buying the company. When I heard this, I immediately began to cry. Last year, when I first found out I was pregnant with my son, my husband lost his job shortly thereafter. I endured three months of complete and total stress by being the household breadwinner. When I heard his news about the current situation, I couldn't help but think of what had happened before.

My husband is more optimistic than I am. God bless him. I try to be an optimist, but I am really a pessimist at heart. Who cares if the glass is half full or half empty? It is going to shatter when it drops to the floor anyway.

I stopped crying and realized that there was nothing that could be done about it. If he lost his job; he lost his job. There is nothing he can do to prevent it from happening. It is not his fault. I tend to worry about the intricate details of the whole picture: What about health insurance? What about paying the bills on time? What about income when I am on maternity leave? These were all things that I immediately thought about when he told me the news. Yes, I also have a tendency to overreact as well.

Since last night I have had the chance to think about what would happen if he lost his job (which is the worst case scenario). It would not be the end of the world if it happened. Things would just have to change a bit. I guess I shouldn't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will take care of itself.

1 comment:

Trudy said...

That is a wonderful attitude to adopt and I hope it carries you through whatever happens. It is also a difficult one to adopt, I need to work harder to do this myself!

Good luck with everything, I'm sure it will work out ok!