Friday, October 06, 2006

Should I stay or should I go?

My cousin was married last month on the 19th of September. She was supposed to get married this coming February, but she and he "husband" decided to elope to Vegas. I do not have a problem with people getting married in Vegas; I did it myself. I am, however, not too happy to attend a bridal shower for someone who is already married.

When I spoke to my husband about this, his concern was not about opting for a gift or not, he wanted to know why I would want to go to a smoky bar on a Saturday night to eat deep-fried appetizers and watch drunk people. I love the way he puts things into perspective for me. I agreed; being six months pregnant in a smoky bar did not appeal to me at all. Part of me feels obligated, however, because my cousin was a bridesmaid in my first wedding ceremony. This is my debate: should I stay home or should I go?

I do not know what etiquette is for attending bridal showers for someone who is already married. I didn't have a bridal shower when I came back from Vegas, but I had been married once before. Perhaps I need to ask "Dear Abby."

No comments: